Sunday, July 20, 2008

Idol Times.

Over the span of my life so far I've looked up to many different faces for inspiration, strength, guidance, hope, and countless other things.
When I was younger, before my musical endeavors as Backseat Goodbye, hockey was my thing.
I was an aspiring goaltender, and looked up to such National Hockey League greats as Patrick Roy, Martin Broudeur, and Mike Richter.

Now, I find myself in a new world as a 22 year-old kid that's completely in love with a girl named music.
I look up to many more humans for inspiration now, which consist of an amazing variety of musicians,...
to name a few: Bright Eyes, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jack Johnson, Frank Sinatra, The Mountain Goats, Cat Power, Tilly & The Wall, The Format, and John Mayer.

From a number of those bands/artists, I've became amazed by a select few that make up those groups.
Take Conor Oberst, for example... the ringleader of my favorite band, Bright Eyes.
The man has accomplished so much, and he's done so in a completely independent perspective.
What he's done as a whole is something I've always been in awe of.
Yesterday I was reading an interview on Blender.com that was done with Conor last week.
My eyebrows were raised to the fact that Conor was 22 when he released the album that basically broke him into the Indie mainstream, "Lifted".

After reading that I got even more excited about the point I'm at in my life right now.
Sure, I've been living quite comfortably from my music over the last two years,...
but I'm at a point where things are happening in much larger scales, much quicker.
Though no one really knows about all that's about to happen with my Backseat Goodbye, other than a handful of people,...
there are some literally HUGE things that are going to occur.

I've always been blown away by the fact that I've become able to do what I love for a living,
but there are things happening as of late that really just blow my mind.
It's going to be an exciting rest of 2008...
and I can't even begin to fathom what 2009 is going to hold.

ANYWAYS....
that's not the point of this post,...
so back to where I was originally going with all of this.

I'm a frequent reader of John Mayer's blog.
The guy has always been interesting to me, not only as a musician,
but as a normal dude.
I've been a huge fan of his for years now,
but today I realized I look up to him even more-so than I thought.
I mean, he's a nice guy, doing what he loves, and helping the world along the way.

I get asked a certain question a lot in interviews,
it usually goes something like, "Who are your favorite artists? And what people inspire you as an artist?"
To me, that's a very personal and big question.
I could chime on for hours about how certain songs and artists have completely changed my life with one lyric.
But in interviews you're expected to give a truthful, yet somewhat concise answer.
And that's completely cool with me.
Anyways,...
I usually always just throw one name in there as far as single people I look to for inspiration,...
and that's Conor Oberst.
But I decided today, that John Mayer is now a second name for that list.

I can only hope that one day I'll be able to do things as level-headed and awesome as him on the same large scale.

It may be seen as childish to still have idols at my age,
but if you were to ask me, I would say it's childish NOT to have idols at any given point in your entire life.

- Chad

14 comments:

grace said...

I love the last line of this blog, it's very true.
Conor Oberst is one person that I look up to as well, just as a human being, and of course as a musician.

His video for Four Winds blew me away. He's simply fantastic.

Anonymous said...

john mayer is amazing
i love driving in my car and when one of his amazing lyrical songs come on it just makes your day 10x better
but really thats kinda what ifeel when any of your songs comes on

i think its awesome and so interesting how one or a few songs can make you feel so infinite and if you have read the perks of being a wallflower you know what i mean.

and if i was youor john mayer or any one else that makes people feel that way i would want to know.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely with your last statement! Idols for our lives and idols for our dreams both are important to every single one of us. If you ask me, being able to do great things isn't far out of your reach, Chad!

Anonymous said...

haha, i love how chad is like "anyways". lol.
:) idk. i just find it funny.
my mother has forbidden me to ever say it due to the fact that she says that it's not a real word:D

....anyway.
i have no real input on the blog.
:|
except that chad is adorable.
:)
the end.

Anonymous said...

Damn, with blogs like these.. you're gonna be on the 'idol' lists

Anonymous said...

This has got to be one of your greatest posts.
First off, Conor Oberst is a musical genius and amazing in many other ways.
Second, I can totally agree with your views on John Mayer. He is a great musician and inspirational.
Lastly, I believe Anyone and Everyone should have an Idol.. it makes you grow and work to be stronger.

:D

p.s. I can't wait for Conor's new CD Aug. 5th! :D

Anonymous said...

Conor Oberst is releasing a solo album. It come out on August 5th! I saw it in the newest issue of Teen Vogue

Anonymous said...

I love your way of thinking
I mean , when you say that some lyrics changed your life... I thought I was the only one thiking like that since people I know aren't according importance to lyrics in songs.
:)

Anonymous said...

Conor Oberst is one of those that will /never/ leave my "inspirat-er" list. Nate's getting pretty far up there, though. also Jonsi, from Sigur Rós.
i like how you are relaying that Oberst seriously inspires you. not in the fact that "he's my favourite artist, so he must inspire me" but /serious/
i don't know i don't know

Lindsey said...

I agree - the last two sentences really sum it up. Without idols, where would our inspiration come from? You are an amazing musician Chad and I'm sure huge things are going to happen for you soon :D

Anonymous said...

I love this blogs that show into your true character and what kind of person you are. Its great that you try to create this bond with your fans, I love it. haha
But I just wanted to tell you that exactly what you're talking about in here is how I feel about you. Although I'm not much of a musician, I love to sing and your music inspires me every single day. Whether its a simple pick-me-up or I'm just in an all-around good mood, your music helps me get through each day. Gah I'm so corny, sorrry. lol


peace
<33

Anonymous said...

I'm obsessed with blender mag. and I was super duperrr excited that conor oberst got an interview in it I kind of jumped up and down and read it automatically..i'm a loser but honestly it's good to have idols mine is ryan white if you dont know who he is look him up he inspired me to basically be how I am today and learn to be vocal.

taylor said...

Chad, i feel the same way you do about john mayer and conor oberst with you.
they are quite amazing musicians though.


but you really inspire me, and i really look up to you.
i love your music.
it makes me feel so good, and i can always count on it to brighten my day up a little more.
:)
i can't wait for your summer tour.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chad.

I admire you more than I can say.

I would really love it if you would come to texas.

Austin, Texas.

The live music capitol of the world!

You should look into playing at Austin City Limits 2009. It's kinda a huge deal.