Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Easy/Lucky/Free

It's amazing how much your life can change in a day.

Yesterday I woke up as my normal self,
and today I woke up with a tattoo and glasses.

Wait, that doesn't make sense to you?...
Let me explain.

I'll start with the glasses.
See, last week I had my first real eye exam, because I was pretty sure that my vision was blurry (or I was just going crazy).
So after the exam I come to find out that I have what's called an "Astigmatism",
so basically, instead of having normal basketball shaped eyes, mine are a bit more curved like a football (or at least that's how my eye doctor explained it, made sense to me)...
therefore, I can't see things up close or far away very well.

So yesterday I went and picked up my first ever pair of glasses...
and now I can officially be a nerd ;)

I don't have to wear them all the time or anything, I'll mainly just be wearing them to read and drive at night, so I'll only be nerdy looking about 20% of a normal day.


(Here's me in my new nerd form)

Alright,
now on to the tattoo.
I had it done at Icon in Nashville.
And for those that are curious,...
Yes, tattoos do hurt.
No, it is not the worst pain in the world, but it's also not the best either.
The way I've decided to describe it is: 
Have you ever been stung by a bee?
If you have, just imagine it being little worse than that, but it's a constant pain for the duration of the actual inking of the tattoo.
Afterward, it pretty much just feels like a sunburn.
One thing I wanted to mention, is that tattoos are no joke. If you're thinking about getting one take the advice I took...
think about the tattoo you want, and once you decide exactly what you want and where you want it think about it for a year.
And then, if you still love the idea, go for it.
Because if you get a tattoo, of course, you can't erase it, it's there forever.

I can gladly say that I really did have this idea for a little over a year,
and after getting in I have 110% no regrets at all.
I'm in love with it.
I'm completely and entirely happy to have this piece of art displayed on my body as long as I live.

So basically I'm just trying to say (because some people end up not really putting thought into their tattoos and get them as a spur of the moment thing and end up regretting it later in life) is that a tattoo is literally a commitment, so be sure of your decision before you do it.

Like I said,
I have no doubts at all about my decision.
There's a list of meaning behind what my tattoo represents to me.
And for those wondering I'll explain a little of what it means right here,...
but to know the full meaning you'll have to ask me at a show, because I want to at least some of it as a personal thing that I can tell people one on one, you know?


(Here's the tattoo)

But anyways,
the tattoo says "easy.lucky.free"
It's actually the title to a song by Bright Eyes.
The actual lyrics of the song, to me, are about death and how it's not a bad thing (and I'm pretty sure that's what Conor Oberst was going for with the song)...
but I've always interpreted the title as something completely different.
I look at it as this...

EASY.
No matter what bad situation I'm ever in, no matter how terrible I think it is, I just like to think about how easy I have it compared to many people. I mean, there are people homeless on street corners, there are people battling cancer, there are people hiding in bunkers at war, and so many more worse things than situations that I could consider hard...
so the "easy" part is just about respecting 

LUCKY.
This part is mainly about how I'm just literally so lucky to be alive... and the fact that I should be thankful for everything I have. I'm lucky to be able to breathe, to be able to speak, to be able to jump, to be able to love, to be able to think, to be able to walk (this list could go on forever).
So, the "lucky" part is just a reminder of how lucky I am to be alive, and to not take one second of life for granted.

FREE.
Now, this part. This part is something I've never really explained to anyone about how I feel about everyones life. The way I see it, every single human on earth, without looking at restrictions of law, community, or hardship, we are all free. What I mean is that even though there may be consequences, there's one simple fact about life that I don't think a lot of people notice.... but see, you are free to do whatever you want, whenever you want. Right this second, if you want to go climb a tree, if you want to sing in an elevator full of people, if you want to hug a stranger, if you want to scream at the top of your lungs from the top of a car,.... you can do it. Now, I'm not saying you SHOULD do any of this necessarily just because you can, but I AM saying that really, you're free, you're free to do what you want. 
So the "free" part is basically just to represent that I am free, and no matter how many things in my life people tell me I'm crazy for trying, or how many things they say I'll never be able to do, I'm still free to believe in myself and go for what I believe in.

So there's the representation of my tattoo as far as directly relating to the actual words.
There are also a handful of personal reasons that tie to the actual font of the tattoo, and a meaning of how I got the tattoo,...
but like I mentioned, you'll have to come ask me about that at one of my Backseat Goodbye shows on tour if you want to know any of those reasons ;)


Okay,
so other than those two big changes...
tonight I'm finally going to get to see Regina Spektor in concert!
I'm pretty fucking excited, to say the least.
She's playing at The Ryman in Nashville...
and the last show I went to there was the first time I saw Bright Eyes,
it was a night I'll never forget, so I expect I'll never forget tonight either.

Hmm,
other than that,
I've finally got some "in the studio" videos I'm getting ready for you all to share some of the new stuff off of "Dressed Up Like Dreams".

By the way, I'll be announcing the final tracklisting as well as the really exciting pre-order deals for that album tomorrow :)

Don't forget that the pre-sale begins March 1st at store.backseatgoodbye.com



I really suppose that's it for now.
Feel free to check out my brand new website for my book at www.chadsugg.com
There's not much there yet, but just as soon as I have some final info ready for my book that will be the place to find out info on it :)


Love,
Chad

P.S. - There's a bigger photo of the tattoo at my personal Myspace at www.myspace.com/nostorybook

P.P.S. - Be sure to add the official page for my book on Myspace at www.myspace.com/csbook



35 comments:

Unknown said...

nerd shmerd.. you look adorable. :]

Anonymous said...

lol i have glasses too and astigmatism,but i have to wear my glasses all day.and i love your tattoo and i love what it means,and i'll be sure to ask u at a show what teh full meaning is.

End Of Winter said...

i know this is weird but i also have a TWLOHA shirt on right now lol

Anonymous said...

the glasses fit you well. i have a similar pair and i have to wear them all the time. but i like looking like a nerd. ;]

nice tattoo, i commented it on your myspace. you should make a 'before you get a tattoo' handbook, haha. waiting for a year is a great one. and the reasons you got this tattoo are great too.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy when you write about more personal thoughts, rather than only stuff involving BG. Of course, I love hearing about BG as well.

emiliapants said...

my first pair of glasses i got so excited i picked out a bright red pair that was cat-eyed and had little retro squares on the side. a week into my new world of clearness, i realized red doesn't look good with everything. which is why i'm terrified of getting a tattoo. i might realize a week later it just doesn't work. the tattoo advice is very knowledgeable.



however, your glasses and the tattoo are marvelous.

Anonymous said...

Quite adorable in those glasses there Chad. :D
YAY for your tattooing! I've recently gotten into Bright Eyes and Connor is definitely one of my favorite lyricists, along with you of course.
-Gracie

xStephaniaxRebelx said...

i'm liking this new nerd version of you, haha. and i have astigmatism too, which sucks but it's cool to have glasses and not have to wear them when you don't want to, haha. and your tattoo came out so good! i can't wait to get my own pretty soon

Anonymous said...

phew.
once i heard you were getting a tattoo, i was hoping and wishing you wouldn't get it on your shoulder. and i'm /so/ glad that you didn't.
hah.
i just think any tattoo, really, looks stupid on one's shoulder :(

and don't worry, /expect/ me to ask you about the font when you come here.
because i will. :K


andbtw. the glasses are adorable.
;D

resident drunk said...

i reeeally like the tat :]

have fun at the show!

Anonymous said...

I don't want to give you too large of an ego by saying this, but your so wise. Wise on realizing how easy people have it and yet we complain all the time about technology lol.

Unknown said...

My eye doctor chooses not to fix my astigmitism, so I get frequent headaches. Lol. Next week, I have to go see a different doctor to get new contacts for it.

At least they're cute glasses :)

StopThisTrain said...

aw those are so cute glasses. and thoughts- you have cute thoughts too. i loved how you explained your tattoo and how much advice you gave. you are really amazing. and a rockstar now? not that you weren't before, haha.

Amber said...

that advice sounds really similar to a "steven's untitled rock column" i read once; that's where i got my tattoo advice.

siincerely kara :* said...

we have similar glasses. (:

Anonymous said...

You're in for a real treat. I saw Regina back in October. Me and my friend were in a state of shock when we left. It was without a doubt one of the most amazing concerts I have ever been to.
She is just pure musical genius.

Anonymous said...

i think you look good in your glasses, they're cute.
but it's a bit of a stretch to call yourself a nerd, because nerds don't have awesome tattoos now do they? :]

lauren. said...

lucky! I want to see regina spektor :]
i like your tatoo and your glasses.
i can't wait for all your plansss.
yay for chad! :]

Anonymous said...

love the new layout and picture :)

Anonymous said...

you look so cute in glasses.
and i love your tattoo

Anonymous said...

Chad Sugg + those glasses = TOO CUTE! <3

Anonymous said...

Chad, you're a stone cold fox.

Anonymous said...

don't you weep. don't you weep for them. there is nothing as lucky, as easy, as free.
well, of course there's a story behind the font. you only use it for all of your cd covers.

Anonymous said...

you look good in glasses

&& the tat is sexy

Anonymous said...

i know people say this to you all the time, but i have an astigmatism too! lol. yeah i had nerd glasses for a while, then i got nice ones/contacts also. your glasses dont make you look weird though. and to make you feel better, i'm not thinking about getting a tattoo. ;)

Bailey, Dearest said...

so basically, my respect for you has just skyrocketed. your tattoo is amazing, but what it means to you is even more amazing than I can possibly explain. you are fantastic. I am also so obscenely jealous you saw Regina Spektor. her voice is breathtaking.
I sure can't wait for your new album!
oh yeah.. by the way.. I adore your glasses. and you look marvelous with them on. : )

diannanicole said...

i also have astigmatism, and my glasses are practically identical to yours :) they look better on you. i usually wear contacts.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of being a 20 something year old and having to get your first pair of glasses! Astigmatisms suck, but the glasses come in handy when you wanna look more serious about life...

Chocolate Penguin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chocolate Penguin said...

"Don't count every hour in the day
As you laugh, someone cries,
as you live, somebody dies
While you rejoice other mourn
Some love while some hate
One will fall as one will rise

Judged by appearance, and misspoken words,
Not the content of one's character, just by what you heard
No man can learn the value of his life without feeling pain.
yet, no human deserves a life of pain.

Feel the fire from our hearts, the flames of our desires
Let us praise the colonizers of dreams
it's the risk of failure that makes life worth living
For no one is setting a path for us to follow,
determined to find what we're searching for

Those days when life opened its new doors
Cause the simple moments they add up
like a shining sentiment where voices soar
Something no one could take from us

Some see the glass half empty,others half full
Define yourself by the choices you make
You decide it's your only way
Life is entanglement of juxtapositions
death is life's changing agent

Mislead and forced to serve for another's crooked faith
Like an angel's heart given flight by a demon
To weak think for ourselves
our opinions' , our inner voice's replaced by other's.
we become imprisoned by the dogmas of life
We sleepwalk our lives away.

Don't let the bitter fruit sour your breath or mind
Think positive don't loose faith
Only one book to write, yet countless stories to tell
There is only you, and you alone
Participate and contribute to society

Everyone is imperfect embrace flaws
they are what make you unique
Let your presence light in the hearts of everyone you meet
Never sell yourself sort, never settle
Be interested in everything and everybody

One can only connect the dots by looking into the past
Never regret if it's good it's wonderful; if it's bad it's experience
Learn and find strength from what remains behind

As the old to make way for the new
breathe easy my friend.
'cuz there is no escaping
breathe easy my friend.
as old to make way for the new
never give up, never let go of something you
can't go a day without thinking about
For it is the unsacrificed self that we must respect in man above all.

Make every hour in the day count"

--By Melissa Stern (me)

Birdie said...

so, when I saw that tattoo of yours, I was immediately intrigued. I just had to know the meaning behind it. =D so thanks for sharing. Your outlook on life still astonishes me. =D

melanie Alcazar said...

you know what's funny, i know this happened a long time ago and i've always loved backseat goodbye and your music and everything but i never knew you had a tattoo until like, a year ago maybe less
i love bright eyes and easy/lucky/free is probably my favorite song by bright eyes and i find it so meaninful in so many ways
some you described some i still come up with every now and then
and i decided i am getting easyluckyfree tattooed too
except i'm doing it inside my lower lip but i found it amazing that you have that tattoo
i didn't even know until i told a friend about me getting the tattoo, and she said, "hey doesn't chad sugg have that tattooed on his arm?"
i thought, no way, not possible
and now you've made it clear
great minds really do think alike (:

Michael Fitzgerald said...

I think really feeling free should leave out the part where you say "I don't suggest you do these things just cause you can.."

it's all or nothing
you're free, or you're trapped

Michael Fitzgerald said...

but I love the ink, that's actually exactly what I want if I ever get one, just different writing and smaller.

Jessica. said...

I have Easy. Lucky. Free. Tattoed on my upper right back, I actually always get teased about it and called "easy" but I don't regret it one bit.
:D